tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 08 00:07:42 1995

Re: }} How's this?

>I've recently been reminded that the adverbs don't always have to come at
>the beginning of the sentence.  With that in mind, I read this as "While
>[he] is forcefully carrying you away, be hitting the throat."  If that's
>what you meant, fine.  If not, the adverb should be moved to modify the
>appropriate verb.

Yeah, that's what I meant, because I couldn't find a "drag" in Klingon, and
the context of the saying isn't to just pull something along the ground,
it's it take you away weather you like it or not. So I think that is ok.

>My feeling for what {rI'} means doesn't quite fit this phrase.  I would use
>"hail" for an attempt to initiate communication with someone who isn't yet
>paying attention to you, sort of like "page (over a public-address system)"
>or "call out to."  In this case, Death is assumed to be approaching and
>already quite focused on you.  "Greet" is not easily translated as a
>straight replacement of words.

 I kinda feel the same way, but when I had asked for advice, everyone said
it would be "hail" for the best translation, although my first gut feeling
was something along "don't be nice to death".

 And you're right, it should be HIS throat, a typical screw-up for me.

Jim
[email protected]

Back to archive top level