tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 07 23:57:15 1995

}} How to greet death.

On Mon, 7 Aug 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:
> I've recently been reminded that the adverbs don't always have to come at
> the beginning of the sentence ... My feeling for what {rI'} means doesn't
> quite fit this phrase.  I would use "hail" for an attempt to initiate
> communication with someone ... I think it ought to say "his throat."

jIQochbe'!  rI' was certainly created for use in "hailing" a ship and it
appropriately describes what Klingons do.  Using words like nuqneH and
qajatlh are definitely rI'.  However, they are not greetings, nor are
they words likely to be used when you see death.  I'll repeat my own
suggestion, "Don't surrender!"  It seems obvious to Klingons, but Humans
seem to have missed it.

janSIy

Back to archive top level