tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 28 18:51:56 1995

Re: Could someone check this for me

On Fri, 28 Apr 1995, Jim Boniface wrote:

>         I'm still trying to learn Klingon, and for practice I'm trying to
> translate some of my favorite sayings. (and I'm taking the postal course,
> just send lesson 4 back the other day). What I'm trying to translate is "We
> gladly feast on those who would subdue us" and what I've come up with so far is
>
>   nupujmoHqangbogh SoplI' matIv

Okay, first of all, this sentence says "He/she/it/they are in the process
of eating, he/she/it/they which are willing to weaken us; we enjoy."

I see the beginning of a good sentence here.  You have the right verbs in
the right order.  You just need to fill in the blanks to tie them together.
Since you want to translate it yourself, I'll give you a few clues.

1. {matIv} is a good start.  What do we enjoy?  This verb needs an object.
2. {SoplI'} needs a subject and an object.  Who is doing the eating and
what do they eat?  {-lI'} means to be in the process of doing something.
It may not be needed in this sentence.
3. {nupujmoHqangbogh} is a very well made relative clause.  Instead of
{pujmoH}, you could also use {chargh} or {jey}.  Relative clauses need
subjects too.  The subject of this relative clause (those persons who are
willing to subdue us) is also the object of {SoplI'} (those persons whom
we feast on).

I hope this helps.

> Jim

yoDtargh