tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 28 18:04:08 1995

Re: KLBC: Present tense of verbs

Fri, 28 Apr 1995, ghItlh marqoS:

> "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]> writes:

> \ The verb {jalth} can also mean "say".
> \
> \ wa'leS bImuj jIjatlh.  Tomorrow, I will say/I will be saying that you are
> \ wrong.  (Literally:  Tomorrow, I say, "You are wrong".)
> \ DaHjaj bImuj jIjatlh.  Today, I say/I am saying that you are wrong.
> \ wa'Hu' bImuj jIatlh.  Yesterday, I said/I was saying that you were wrong.
>
> The prefix in the above examples should be "vI-" (vIjatlh), qar'a'?

I could say {wa'leS bImuj vIjalth} (Tomorrow, I will say to him that he
is wrong.)
I could also say {wa'leS bImuj qajatlh} (Tomorrow, I will say to you that
you are wrong.)
I could even say {wa'leS bImuj jIjalth'egh} (Tomorrow, I will say to myself
that I am wrong.)

A verb prefix indicating an object is not required.  This is not a
sentence as object construction, like {vIneH}.  When using using a verb of
speaking, what you are saying (here, {bImuj}) is not the object of
{jIjalth}.  The two sentences are simply joined together as one, in either
order.  (Sec. 6.2.6.)  You could also say {wa'leS jIjalth bImuj}.

> -marqoS

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level