tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 30 08:01:24 1995

Re: Could someone check this for me

Definitely read yoDtargh's reply to this post first.

According to Jim Boniface:

>         I'm still trying to learn Klingon, and for practice I'm trying to
> translate some of my favorite sayings. (and I'm taking the postal course,
> just send lesson 4 back the other day). What I'm trying to translate is "We
> gladly feast on those who would subdue us" and what I've come up with so far is
>
>   nupujmoHqangbogh SoplI' matIv

Ahhhh. One of my alltime favorite sentences to translate. This
is not a correction for you. yoDtargh has already addressed the
strengths and weaknesses of your translation. I just want to
share the way I translated it back when the movie came out:

nucharghta' luneHtaH'bogh chaH wISopmo' maQuch.

I must comment that I appreciate your use of {-qang} here. I
had considered it, but was concerned that it did not quite
carry the sense of desire. The people on whom we feast were not
just WILLING to subdue us. They WANTED to subdue us.

Basically, my feeling is that we are happy because we eat those
who were continuously wanting that they had accomplished
conquoring us.

>  Thanks
>
> Jim

Thank YOU. You have chosen an excellent and challenging
sentence to translate. Surely, it was originally written in
Klingon and some Human writer ripped it off from us, qar'a'?

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \