tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 10 18:36:54 1994

Re: charity begins at Idaho

On Thu, 9 Jun 1994 [email protected] wrote:

> I just got off the phone with David Barron.  I don't know if he's going to
> approve of my posting this note here, but knowing him it's clear to me that
> he certainly wouldn't.  If you're offended by this, oh well.  If you can help
> out, all the better.
>
> Okay, here're the specifics.  As most of you know David sunk a lot of time
> and effort into trying to make the Idaho Seminar happen.  He went into it
> very optimistically (and I shared that optimism) and it didn't pan out.
>  That's alright, he's not bitter or too upset, he doesn't consider the effort
> totally wasted.  But, and here's the kicker, the hotel that was going to host
> the meeting has refused to refund the $500 David put down to reserve the
> conference rooms.  And it doesn't look like he's going to get it back.
>
> David is much more philosophical about this loss than I would be.  He seems
> able to shrug it off.  Of course, it also means that he won't be coming to
> Philadelphia, being unable to justify the expense of the trip (and you'll
> recall that was the major reason why more people didn't sign up to go to
> Idaho, the cost of the trip!) on top of the loss from the hotel.
>
> I wish the KLI were in a position to provide financial assistance, but we're
> not.  But I'm hoping that all of us, as individuals, CAN maybe help out.
>
> I'm a bit uncomfortable with the internet equivalent of a telethon, but the
> cause seems worthy, and there are enough of us here on the mailing list (some
> active, some lurking) who could make this happen easily.  Some of you are
> even here because you got turned on to Klingon through the postal course that
> David has been running (always for free).  What do you say?  Will you join
> with me and send $5 or $10 to David Barron to help him recoup his losses and
> allow him to participate in the Philadelphia meeting?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lawrence
>
> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> :: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   ::
> :: The Klingon Language Institute   ::
> :: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA ::

Hello tlhIngans!

I Qap in mub.  I believe I can handle this situation.   David, contact me
with details.  My mub ghom may be able to tI' the situation.   Forgive my
thlIngan, I am not yet fluent.
There will be pagh charged without Qapla'.

Starr

Back to archive top level