tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 12 07:01:25 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country Klingon Dialogue

DloraH ([email protected]) [Hol po'wI']

> > if there are commas in Klingon (are there ?)
>
> since we know nothing about klingon writing, we also do not
> know about
> commas. But most klingonists have agreed that using commas is a very
> useful thing to make phrases clear, also when adding things:

What we write is not the Klingon writing system.
What we write is a phonetic representation, using human characters.
Likewise, the grammar we use is a part of that phonetic representation.
A comma is a pause, A period is a full stop, etc.
In this human writing system we use to represent the spoken Klingon sounds, we can use whatever we
feel nessessary to accomplish that representation more accurately, just like how Okrand chose upper
case / lower case, and letter groups to more accrurately represent certain sounds.
When you write with this system that we use, by all means, use commas, etc.  When you speak, put in
the appropriate pauses.

-- DloraH