tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 27 16:55:11 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 35

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

I'm going with luQeqHa'lu'. I think it's the same meaning more succinctly
than luQeqbe'choHlu', but I still don't have the ideal English translation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Boozer [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: September 27, 2013 9:35 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 35

Robyn Stewart wrote:
>> jatlhDI' yaS, SIbI' beHmey luQeqbe'choHlu'.
>>
>> beHmey luQeqbe'choHlu' = [an unspecified subject] changes the rifles
>>                           to not aimed.
>>
>> Is there an expression in English representing moving a firearm from
>> an aimed to an unaimed state? So often there's a completely separate
>> English word for a Klingon suffix combination that I'm afraid I'm
>> just lacking the English vocab here.

ghunchu'wI':
> I think the word you want is "lower", as in "lower your weapons."

But not WRT spears.  Cf. {ghuS} "lower (spear) to horizontal to attack":

KGT 64:  Some spears are simply thrust into an oncoming enemy. Others are
generally thrown. The thrower first lowers the spear to a horizontal
position (the verb describing this action is {ghuS}), then hurls it with
great force (throw or hurl in this manner is {chuH}).

KGT 65:  It may have been noticed that some of the terminology associated
with spears is identical to that associated with modern weaponry, and
certainly the vocabulary of spear-throwing was adapted for the newer
technology. ... The verb {ghuS} means both "lower (a spear) to a horizontal
position in preparation for throwing" and "prepare to launch (a torpedo)".

> In Klingon, I'd probably say {QeqHa'} "de-aim" instead of {Qeqbe'}. I
> might also leave off the {-choH}, trusting {-Ha'} to imply the change
> of state.

I really like *{QeqHa'} here.  You're saying they pointed their weapons
somewhere else, not lowered them to the ground -- for which we have {pep}
"raise" (never used AFAIK) which implies *{pepHa'} "lower", chagh "drop"
(also never used), and {roQ} "put down" (also never used).  And FWIW we also
have {puS} "sight (with gunsight)":

  tlha'a HoD, DoS wIpuStaH
  Captain Klaa, we have a target in sight. ST5

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons