tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 26 10:39:19 2013

[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 35

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Torg dragged an armoured corpse into a closet/small room in order to loot
its armour, but has just been discovered and finds himself kneeling on the
floor at multiple gunpoints. Here's the next installment, followed by
explanation and translation.
---
tortaHvIS Hegh pIH torgh, 'ach bachbe' negh.  jatlhDI' yaS, SIbI' beHmey
luQeqbe'choHlu'. DoH HochHom 'ej lom retlhDaq tor wa' mang. lom nuD, ghIq
'IQchoH qabDaj. torghvaD romuluSngan Hol jatlh. ralHa' ghoghDaj 'ej torgh
yebDaq ghop tun lan. romuluSngan Sut tuQtaHmo' 'ej Quch Daj So'mo' mIv, 'ej
qatmo' romuluSngan 'Iw, romuluSngan rIQ ghaH torgh'e' 'e' Har negh.
---
tortaHvIS Hegh pIH torgh, 'ach bachbe' negh.  - a slight reference to a
proverb: QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS -- better to die standing
than live kneeling -- dying kneeling would presumably be the worst of both
worlds. "Torg expects death while kneeling, but the soldiers do not shoot."

jatlhDI' yaS, SIbI' beHmey luQeqbe'choHlu'.  jatlhDI' yaS = as soon as an
officer speaks; when the officer speaks; beHmey luQeqbe'choHlu' = [an
unspecified subject] changes the rifles to not aimed. Is there an expression
in English representing moving a firearm from an aimed to an unaimed state?
So often there's a completely separate English word for a Klingon suffix
combination that I'm afraid I'm just lacking the English vocab here. The
best I can do is relaxed.  "At the word of an officer the rifles are
relaxed." or maybe "taken off target."

DoH HochHom 'ej lom retlhDaq tor wa' mang. = HochHom = the majority, most;
"Most backed off, and one soldier kneels next to the corpse."

lom nuD, ghIq 'IQchoH qabDaj. = "He examines the corpse and then his face
turns sad."

torghvaD romuluSngan Hol jatlh. = "He speaks Rihannsu [the Romulan language]
to Torg."

ralHa' ghoghDaj 'ej torgh yebDaq ghop tun lan.  ral = be violent; ralHa' =
unviolent, the reverse of violent. "His voice is gentle and he places a soft
hand on Torg's wrist."

romuluSngan Sut tuQtaHmo' 'ej Quch Daj So'mo' mIv, 'ej qatmo' romuluSngan
'Iw, romuluSngan rIQ ghaH torgh'e' 'e' Har negh.  - Here I pile up three
subordinate clauses, all with -mo' on the verb, and connect them with 'ej.
In English you can use "because" once and put all your reasons together, but
in Klingon you have to keep marking each noun or verb that is the cause. "As
he's wearing Romulan clothing, the helmet hides his forehead, and he's
covered in Romulan blood, the soldiers believe Torgh to be an injured
Romulan."  The soldiers have, I imagine, already found bloodied survivors of
Torg's massacre, hiding under beds and in closets, or just kneeling on the
floor trying to resuscitate their colleagues, reporting that they were
attacked by multiple massive Klingons, thereby conditioning the soldiers to
believe Torg to be another victim.

-Qov