tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 27 08:45:14 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 35

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
> jatlhDI' yaS, SIbI' beHmey luQeqbe'choHlu'.  jatlhDI' yaS = as soon as an
> officer speaks; when the officer speaks; beHmey luQeqbe'choHlu' = [an
> unspecified subject] changes the rifles to not aimed. Is there an expression
> in English representing moving a firearm from an aimed to an unaimed state?
> So often there's a completely separate English word for a Klingon suffix
> combination that I'm afraid I'm just lacking the English vocab here. The
> best I can do is relaxed.  "At the word of an officer the rifles are
> relaxed." or maybe "taken off target."

I think the word you want is "lower", as in "lower your weapons."

In Klingon, I'd probably say {QeqHa'} "de-aim" instead of {Qeqbe'}. I
might also leave off the {-choH}, trusting {-Ha'} to imply the change
of state.

> ...Quch Daj So'mo' mIv,...
> "As...the helmet hides his forehead,...

When I read this the first time, it didn't occur to me that {Quch Daj}
might have been a typo for {QuchDaj}. I just accepted it as
"interesting forehead".

-- ghunchu'wI'