tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 03 11:36:10 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] fiat justitia ruat coelum

Felix Malmenbeck ([email protected])

{HochvaD jang} vIwIvnIS 'ach jIlujpu'. QInvam cha' chovnatlhmey Hevmo' SuStel jIQoS.

> I don't get "though" out of "also." "If the stars must also die [in
> addition to doing something else we said before], may justice succeed."

My reading of "though" is quite close to my reading of "also": It says "also in this other case".
It's true, however, that there doesn't seem to be anything to suggest that {je} carries some sense of incredulity.

> pumchugh Hovmey ruv chavlu'jaj
> if the heavens fall, may justice be achieved

My problem with this is that it reads almost as though the stars falling is actually a condition for justice to be done.

If one doesn't insist on keeping the phrase short, one could be a bit more explicit:

pumchugh Hovmey pagh pumbe'chugh, ruv chavnISlu'.
"If the stars fall, or if they don't fall, justice must be achieved."

Thus stating a sort of indifference to the stars' falling, similar to {vIpollaH pagh vIpolHa'laH.}