tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 28 13:01:08 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] 'contamination' and <-Ha'choHmoH>

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> Specify what kind of contamination or pollution you're discussing:
>> e.g. {bIQ nIt} and {bIQ Say'} (the former used for pristine,[]
>> never-polluted water?), {muD lam}, {woj choHwI' pugh}, etc.

Ruben:
> I like your {bIQ nIt} for "pristine water" :)
>
> I am not sure about {muD lam}..... {muD lam} seems to work for particles
> or smoke that makes the atmosphere to look dirty,...  but if some non-
> visible contaminant is present I would use  {muD Say'be'}.
> {muD Say'be'} would include {muD lam}.  The same thing applies for non-
> visible contaminants in the  water...

Do we know that {lam} is particulate in nature?  Does it include "dust" or "soil" (but cf. {yav} "ground")?  Is it a very generic word for any kind of grime or *shmutz*?  (We have a word for a very specific kind of dirt: {butlh} "dirt under fingernails".)  The problem is that we don't know what it means *in a Klingon context*.  AFAIK there are no examples of either the simple quality {lam} "be dirty" nor the noun {lam} "dirt" used in a sentence.  That being said, we do have the verb {lamHa'choHmoH} "get something cleaned" used once:

  nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH
  Where can I get my shoes cleaned? TKD

but how is "make undirty" really different from {Say'moH} "wash" (i.e. "make clean")?  E.g.

  DaH jIbwIj vISay'nISmoH
  I must wash my hair now. PK

  yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI' Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw
  The blood of battle washes clean the warrior brave and true. (Anthem)

A first impression - based on a sum total of 3 examples! - is that {Say'moH} seems to refer to cleaning one's body, while {lamHa'[choH]moH} is used for things.  But who knows?

We also have the verb {Say'qu'moH} "sterilize" as well as phrase {Say'moHwI' tlhagh} "soap" from TalkNow! Klingon -- both never used in a sentence.

As usual:  Lot's of questions but no answers.  At least, not until we get more examples or someone asks Maltz.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons