tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 16 14:13:02 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' chorghmaH wej: <'e' tul pagh tlhIngan>

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ghunchu'wI', jatlh:
> As TKD describes it in Section 5.3, {je} used this way is still a noun
> conjunction. {HIq tlhutlh je} "he drank liquor too" could mean either
> "he and others drank liquor" or "he drank liquor and something else".
> The null prefix suggest to me that the former meaning is unlikely. But
> it absolutely does not mean "also, he drank liquor."

jIjang, jIjatlh:
> ghop luQan tajHommey. pe'laH je.
> The bladelets protect the hand. They can also cut.
> (My translation, because the English version on the card is quite free.)

mujang ghunchu'wI', jatlh:
> I've always read the Klingon text as meaning "They too can cut." That
> is, the main blade cuts, and so do the small side ones. I believe the
> English supports my interpretation, referring to "another set of
> cutting edges."

Ah. That's fair enough, and an interpretation I hadn't considered.

jIH:
> Similarly, Marc said in an MSN posting back in 1996:
> qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'. ghoHtaH je. tIv'eghtaH
> je.
> [At the third qep'a' Klingon students will speak. Also, they will learn.
> Also, they will enjoy themselves.]

ghunchu'wI':
> Is that your translation too?

Yes; no English version was given with the original.

> I'm certain the note was posted several months *after* qep'a' wejDIch,
> so the future tense is not appropriate.

Fair enough.

> It also substitutes "learn" for "argue".

ghuy'cha'! DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'. I have a tendency still,
even now, to make silly mistakes like that with some word pairs. Qov
caught me using {pum} for {puv} in the Rime, too. Guess I've got to be
a bit more careful.

> Assuming that the note is accurately reported (and that its usage
> wasn't identified later as a silly mistake), I withdraw my objection.

I got it from klingonska.org's canon database, and maHvatlh is usually
pretty careful with his reporting. As for whether it was later picked
up as a mistake, I haven't seen anything, but I'll defer to others'
knowledge on that.

QeS 'utlh