tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 15 06:39:13 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] learnings from Saarbrücken qepHom'a'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
>> <Soj> refers not just to food, but anything consumed for sustenance
>> (i.e., "food" in a more general sense than "solid food")

This was more of a reminder, really, as humans (at east, English-speaking humans) tend to consider food and drink separately.  Klingons do not:

KGT 83:  The term for food of any kind (including beverages) is {Soj}.

KGT 94:  There is no known noun referring to drinks in general (though, as noted above, beverages are considered a type of {Soj} [food]). Any alcoholic beverage is called {HIq}.

i.e. refreshment, sustenance, rations, etc.  I can imagine a sign {naDevvo' pagh Soj!} "No food or beverages allowed beyond this point!"  (We have such signs posted all over the library where I work.)

Lieven:
> Talking about food, no new word, but an interesting explanation:
>
> I asked if there were a word for "satisfied", "I'm full", i.e. you had
> eaten enough.
>
> MO said no, but accepted {ghungHa'} for "not hungry any more". You
> cannot use it though to say that you are not hungry, that should be
> {ghungbe'} "not hungry". But if you are hungry first, then you eat
> enough, then you can say {DaH jIghungHa'} "Now I am un-hungry." (="not
> hungry any more")
>
> It also works with {'oj} the same way.

{ghungHa'} has been used on the List in this sense before.  I have it tagged "trI'Qal" in my notes (ex-List grammarian T'rkal, i.e. Duffy Dopplebower).  It's always nice to have our grammarians' Sprachgefuehl confirmed.

I wonder if you can apply this use of {-Ha'} to other verbs of sensation.  E.g. {Doy'} "be tired" vs. ?{Doy'Ha'} "be refreshed" (e.g. after a brief nap {Dum})?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons