tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 13 01:33:32 2011

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] O for a Muse of fire

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> At the qepHom in Saarbrücken, MO gave us a hint on Gowron's speech from
> the opening of the  Star Trek: Klingon computer game.  He said it's the
> opening lines of a Shakespearean play.
(poD)
> Does anyone wants to look at that passage from Henry V and give a go at
> reconstructing the original Klingon?

I've just listened to the passage for the first time (I don't own the game,
but fortunately the passage is on Youtube), only cursorily, but I reckon it
should be possible to reconstruct most of it. FWIW, 'o isn't in the version
recorded by Robert O'Reilly; it begins only with 'oghlu'meH qul. I'm still
trying to work out the rest, but I can hear cha'wI'pu' 'oSjaj SuvwI'pu''e'
in there, presumably translating "Princes to act" in the third line of the
English version (and if correct, it gives us a canon word for "actor").

If it helps anyone, it seems to me that O'Reilly's reading off a phonetic
transcript that represents {H} as /ch/; his pronunciation of it is near to
English "sh". The first line sounds like 'oghlu'meS (!!) qul, and later on
there are what sounds like two instances of neHlu' being pronounced almost
like neSlo'. Similarly, his {j} is more like /zh/.

QeS 'utlh