tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 10 08:36:32 2011

Re: The verb {rIn}

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Felix Malmenbeck <[email protected]> wrote:
> According to TKD, rIntaH follows the verb it modifies, so supposedly "The man buys the targ." would be translated as targh je' rIntaH loD.  However, the only canonical examples are phrases of the form (verb prefix)-(verb) rIntaH, so for all we know it could also be targh je' loD rIntaH (here rIntaH follows the verb; just not directly).

We have a similar usage example in the "tag question" {qar'a'}. It too
follows the verb, but we are explicitly told that it can come at the
very end of the sentence. Both {qama' yu' qar'a' yaS} and {qama' yu'
yaS qar'a'} are correct. I have no problem with the same options for
{rIntaH} as a "finality" marker: {qama' yu' rIntaH yaS} and {qama' yu'
yaS rIntaH} both work for me.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level