tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 10 06:39:34 2011

The verb {rIn}

Andrà MÃller ([email protected])

Hi,
I came across the verb {rIn} again, translation: "be accomplished, be
finished", for which I have one example sentence (Voragh, do you have
more?):
{luHoH rIntaH.}
They have killed him.

We can clearly see that this is not a usual construction in Klingon, the
pronoun {'e'} is not involved, its just two verbs after another. What's the
relation between them? And how does the construction work with other
persons? {luHoH} clearly means "they-kill(ed)-him", but does {rIntaH} mean
"they-are/have-finished" or {it-is/has-finished}? If I want to say something
like "I have finished reading the book." with this construction, is it {paq
vIlaD jIrIntaH.} (I am being finished reading the book.) or {paq vIlaD
rIntaH.} (It is being finished that I read the book.)? What do you think?

Any insight in this construction is welcome.
- André

Back to archive top level