tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 01 15:19:10 2010

Re: gha'tlhIq

R Fenwick ([email protected])

ghItlh Voragh, jatlh:
>Isn't {pem po} "daytime morning" redundant or, at least, pedantically over-
>precise?  In Okrand's discussion on times of the day (st.klingon June 29,
>1997), {pem po} is not found among the combinations:

Indeed, but it's not just {pem po}; it's {tujbogh 'ej nI'bogh pem po}. I
think the relative clauses justify the inclusion of {pem} here, since they're
really describing the whole of the midsummer day, of which {po} then selects
a particular part. I don't think {tujbogh 'ej nI'bogh po} is as clear (though
that's just my opinion).

jIghItlhpu':
>I agree that you're probably best off steering well clear of {yoHbogh
>matlhbogh je SuvwI'} for the moment, since it's clearly anomalous.

mujang Voragh:
>Although it is poetical, and this is a {gha'tlhIq}.

That's certainly true. I'd prefer to see it used in the body of the poem,
though. Perhaps the following:

Qoy, *'aSghotlh puqloD.
Qoy, puqbe'pu'.
charbogh SuDbogh je tlherwI'
wa' 'I'wIjDaq vItu'.

:)

ghItlhtaH:
>Since the summer solstice is by definition the longest day (June 21 in Earth's
>Northern Hemisphere) - and the phrase we're translating is "One Midsummer
>Morning" - why not drop {nI'} "be long" and go with a string of nouns (and
>numbers) as your date-stamp:
>
>  poH tuj bI'reS wa' po
>
>I'm not sure about the placement of {wa'} "one",

I don't think you need it. {poH tuj bI'reS po} would work just as well. Or simply
{poH tuj po}, similar to what I did in my version. (And if {poH tuj bI'reS} would
be understood by a Klingon to mean the day of the summer solstice, then {wa' po}
is redundant as well - the day only has one morning, after all.)

QeS 'utlh

Back to archive top level