tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 09:45:20 2010

Re: FW: Question about a little help with translation

R Fenwick ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh, jatlh:
>According to my desktop dictionary an amine group refers to the radical -NH2 while
>the adjective amino- means "pertaining to or containing any of a group of organic
>compounds of nitrogen derived from ammonia)".  Since it's composed of {voQSIp}
>"nitrogen", we could say {voQSIp pey} but that sounds more like "nitric acid" to
>me.  Perhaps we should just leave it as {AMINE pey}.

How about going the descriptive route:

tat'e' ngaSbogh voQSIp bIQSIp je pey
acid of an ion which contains nitrogen
(ignoring the slight technical inaccuracy of describing the amine group as an ion)

I think I've come in a little late on all this, but now that I read the abstract and have
the exchange between Voragh and qurgh I think even paraphrase 1 might be eminently
translatable, so I might give it a go:

Hapghommey'e' chenmoHpu'bogh HIq Seghmey, HaQchorHey, Hap patlhmey 4-DIch 5-DIch 6-DIch
je Hap Seghmey je, chenta'ghachchaj yajchoHghachchaj je Del QulmeH ghItlhvam.

"As for compounds which types of alcohol, apparent saccharine, and the matter hierarchy's
fourth, fifth and sixth classes have formed, this research manuscript describes their
formation and understanding." (I usually use {HaQchorHey} for "sugar" in Klingon - after
all, "saccharine" in English was originally merely a word that meant "sugary"... And
{Hap patlhmey} "matter ranks" for the periodic table is meant to be modelled after
{qutluch patlh} for the Klingon social hierarchy structure.)

loS qoch vagh qoch ghap ghajbogh gho rurbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQul. Dajqu' vagh qoch gho
chenmoHbogh 5-DIch Segh Hapmey'e', loS qoch gho chenmoHbogh 6-DIch Hapmey'e', gho
chenmoHbogh nInnagh Hap Hapghommey'e' je. Hapmeyvam'e', gho rurbogh Hapghommey'e'
luchenmoHlu'meH, Hapghom'e' ngaSbogh QIm "whites" vIlo' je.

"I researched compounds resembling circles with four or five partners. Particularly
interesting were 5-partner circles formed from the group-5 substances, 4-partner circles
formed from the group-6 substances, and circles formed from carbon compounds. As for
these subsances, in order to make compounds resembling a circle, I also used compounds
contained in egg whites." (Looking at the periodic table, I noticed that the elements
used for the 5-part rings - phosphorus, arsenic and antimony - are all from group 5,
and those for the 4-part rings - selenium and tellurium - both from group 6, meaning
that the names can be dropped quite easily and paraphrased.)

After that, it gets easier, I think:

Hapghommey chen'eghmoHpu'meH mIw vIQIjmeH, Hoch Hapghom qut mob vIQul. Hapghommey
vIngoS 'ej bIQDaq vangtaHghachmeychaj vIHaD. De' law' vIboS.

"In order that I explain the compounds' way of having formed themselves, I studied
single crystal(s) of each compound. I dissolved the substances and studied their
behaviours in water. I collected much data." (I've steered away from {qach}, which I'm
doubtful about for this meaning of "structure".)

bIQDaq Hapghommey ngaDtaHghach vIwaH 'ej bIQvo' Hapghommey lInglu'meH vInID.

"I tested the compounds' stability in water and I tried to make the compounds be
produced from water."

yIntaHbogh yaghmey porghDaq chay' leng Hapghommeyvam Sar'e'? jIjangqu'meH bIH vIHaD.
'ej chaq jang je tlhoblu'DI' <chay' chen nagh DIr?>.

"How do these various compounds travel in the bodies of living organisms? I studied
them in order to answer. And perhaps it will also answer when one asks "How are
shells formed?"." (Obviously, whether {nagh DIr} or {pel'aQ} is appropriate depends
on the kind of shell, but if it's animal shells he's talking about - and from the
comparison of shells to bowls, I suspect it is - then {nagh DIr} is the way to go.
Also, I opted for {chen} rather than {chenmoH} because I would only talk about the
animal itself {chenmoH}ing its shell; I'd find it a bit nonsensical to talk about
the shell {chenmoH}ing its bowl.)

So, my translation of the abstract would be as follows (the thing I'm really stumped
with is how best to translate "protein"; egg white is an excellent paraphrase,
because it's almost entirely made up of protein, but I'm blowed if I can think of an
alternative that *I* can understand, never mind anyone else):

Hapghommey'e' chenmoHpu'bogh HIq Seghmey, HaQchorHey, Hap patlhmey 4-DIch 5-DIch
6-DIch je Hap Seghmey je, chenta'ghachchaj yajchoHghachchaj je Del QulmeH ghItlhvam.
loS qoch vagh qoch ghap ghajbogh gho rurbogh Hapghommey'e' vIQul. Dajqu' vagh qoch gho
chenmoHbogh 5-DIch Segh Hapmey'e', loS qoch gho chenmoHbogh 6-DIch Hapmey'e', gho
chenmoHbogh nInnagh Hap Hapghommey'e' je. Hapmeyvam'e', gho rurbogh Hapghommey'e'
luchenmoHlu'meH, Hapghom'e' ngaSbogh QIm "whites" vIlo' je.
Hapghommey chen'eghmoHpu'meH mIw vIQIjmeH, Hoch Hapghom qut mob vIQul. Hapghommey
vIngoS 'ej bIQDaq vangtaHghachmeychaj vIHaD. De' law' vIboS.
bIQDaq Hapghommey ngaDtaHghach vIwaH 'ej bIQvo' Hapghommey lInglu'meH vInID.
yIntaHbogh yaghmey porghDaq chay' leng Hapghommeyvam Sar'e'? jIjangqu'meH bIH vIHaD.
'ej chaq jang je tlhoblu'DI' <chay' chen nagh DIr?>.

Though I'm a bit rustier with my Klingon than I'd like, I'm afraid, so any comments
would be gratefully appreciated.

Savan,

QeS 'utlh
Link all your email accounts and social updates with Hotmail. Find out now.
http://windowslive.ninemsn.com.au/oneinbox?ocid=T162MSN05A0710G

Back to archive top level