tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 26 12:19:27 2010

Re: jatlhwI'pu Holtejpu' je

qurgh lungqIj ([email protected])

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Christopher Doty <[email protected]>wrote:

> Again, this says more about you than it does about any of these
> "linguists."
>  I'm not sure if you're aware, but there are something like 6,000 actual,
> real, natural languages in the world, and every single one of them is
> infinitely cooler and more subtle than Klingon; linguists get no cred from
> academia for being interested in Klingon.  If you think that linguists come
> here looking for acceptance from THIS group, the majority of whom (but
> certainly not all) seem to be arrogant pricks who have accomplished nothing
> in their lives except managing to learn Klingon, you might want to take a
> look out the window once in a while; there is a much bigger world out
> there,
> and the KLI counts for exactly squat in it.

Thanks for insulting every person on this list in one go. That kind of
action doesn't engender compassion from anyone. While you may have an issue
with a few of the people on this list, please don't generalize to everyone.
I know quite a few people on this list and none of them, in the 15 years
I've been on this list, have ever acted like a "arrogant prick" to me.

The only arrogance I've seen is from newbies who think they already have a
mastery. When they get smacked down (as is the Klingon way) they get all
defensive and run around insulting everyone near them. I seen it happen many
many times over the years. I went through the first part myself (my first
post was a horrid translation of a scene from Hamlet which I thought was
wonderfully translated) but instead of trying to defend my Klingon I tried
to improve it.

qurgh

Back to archive top level