tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 26 12:29:10 2010

Re: jatlhwI'pu Holtejpu' je

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:17, qurgh lungqIj <[email protected]> wrote:
Thanks for insulting every person on this list in one go. That kind of
> action doesn't engender compassion from anyone. While you may have an issue
> with a few of the people on this list, please don't generalize to everyone.
> I know quite a few people on this list and none of them, in the 15 years
> I've been on this list, have ever acted like a "arrogant prick" to me.

I didn't intend for this to be insulting to everyone on the list, and I did
my best in my email to make it clear that I wasn't talking about everyone.
 Some people here have been kind and helpful, but their voices are rather
drowned out by the arrogant pricks--and people have treated both me like
this (see, e.g., the horribly condescending email from Doq which started
this discussion), so I feel justified in using that term, even if you have't
had this experience.

> The only arrogance I've seen is from newbies who think they already have a
> mastery. When they get smacked down (as is the Klingon way) they get all
> defensive and run around insulting everyone near them. I seen it happen
> many
> many times over the years. I went through the first part myself (my first
> post was a horrid translation of a scene from Hamlet which I thought was
> wonderfully translated) but instead of trying to defend my Klingon I tried
> to improve it.

Well, I did actually translate something and ask for comments.  I got a few,
but all most people could say was "capitalize your /i/s." I WANTED to make
this translation better with input from people here, but it seems to me that
at least some of those on the list simply won't deign to deal with anyone
who admits to being a linguist (except, of course, Okrand).

Chris

Back to archive top level