tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 10 16:45:16 2010

"nga'chuq (always subject)" - Question about usage

Alex Greene ([email protected])

I have long wondered what "(always subject)" means in reference to the verb nga'chuq.

Does that mean that no object can appear in front of the verb in the sentence, e.g. *manga'chuqta' jIH jagh be'nalDaj'e' je "I have made love with the enemy's wife" - or does it mean something more arcane?

(And the above would have read "I have made love with the enemy AND his wife had I not emphasised the missus with the 'e' topic marker ...)

Back to archive top level