tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 18 10:47:36 2009

Re: use of DIng

Doq ([email protected])

While I'm tempted to agree, that if I spin around in circles,
{jIDIng}, and if I spin a bottle, {bal vIDIngmoH}, it could be just as
easy that the verb is transitive and the two sentence should be
{jIDIng'egh} and {bal vIDIng}. It is not really more efficient to use
{-moH} than it is to use {-'egh}.

Witness {chenmoH}. It would have been much more "efficient" for {chen}
to mean "make", and in the rare instances when we now would use {chen}
by itself, we could use {chen'egh}. As much as I would like efficiency
to weigh in heavily on these matters, it doesn't.

The point is that the actual relationship between the verb and any
objects is arbitrary, and chosen word by word. Apparently {vIH} really
does mean to be in motion and not to move an object, so that {jIvIH}
and {bal vIvIHmoH}, much like {jIjaH} and {bal vIjaHmoH}, but we have
examples of other words that Okrand uses as root verbs for both the
transitive and intransitive meaning.

That's true both for the pseudo-intransitive words like {legh} where
you can say {jIlegh} and still be using a transitive verb without any
specifics about what it is you see, and also for words with an actual
intransitive meaning in addition to the transitive meaning,
unfortunately, like {DIng}. People argued that {vIH} should be in that
class, but Okrand eventually stated that it really was intransitive.
At issue was wether or not "be in motion" indicated that it was a verb
that could be used as an adjective. {Duj vIH yIbuS!} If {vIH} had a
transitive meaning, then you could not use it as an adjective.

So, does Okrand want to use {DIng} as an adjective? That's the
question you are really asking here. Does he want to be able to say
{jIH DIng law' SoH DIng puS}? These are things he can't say if {DIng}
can be transitive without {-moH}.

My two cents, anyway.

Doq

Back to archive top level