tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 08 05:14:31 2009

Re: The meaning of -moH

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Oct 7, 2009, at 6:52 PM, David Trimboli wrote:

> The text tells us we can put objects on verbs, but it never tells us
> when we *can't* do it.

It comes close, though.  When introducing verb prefixes, the example
verb is {Qong} "sleep" and only the no-object prefixes are listed.
The text then goes on to say that those prefixes are also used when
an object is possible but not stated.  I infer from the wording that
such prefixes are *not* used with {Qong}.  I agree that nothing
explicitly says that there is a rule against it, but there is some
support in TKD for saying that an object on {Qong} is not possible.
The semantics vs. syntax distinction is a little fuzzy, but I'm
leaning toward this being a syntactical feature.  The problem of
being able to know which verbs have the syntactical restriction is a
persistent one, though.

> There *is* a distinction between verbs of quality
> and verbs of action,...

With the {Qong} prefix example, there is also an apparent category of
non-quality verbs which don't take objects.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level