tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 02 08:56:15 2009

Re: The meaning of -moH

Doq ([email protected])

I respect the depth with which you guys have explored the grammar
surrounding {-moH}. I wonder if Okrand has actually gone that deep,
and we are just discovering it, or if we are discovering patterns that
he didn't think about, but followed subconsciously or accidentally, or
if we are discovering patterns that ultimately canon will prove were
not accurate.

Here's where we get to the difference between natural language and
artificial language. In natural language, while you might argue that
our brains are wired for grammar, and so natural languages will select
among the wired options for grammar within our brains while
constructing sentences (notice that every language has a unit that can
be described as a sentence), it is only AFTER a natural language has
formed and been used for generations that someone comes along and
examines the patterns in the language to figure out what the rules of
grammar for that language might be.

[Hmm. So, language is a batch process. If humans evolve as our
technologies tend to, then eventually we will have no sentences
because our language processes will become continuous, not requiring
the boundaries of the batch.]

Artificial languages begin with the grammar and construct sentences
according to those rules.

So, Klingon is an artificial language posing as a natural language.
Over time, it becomes more natural because every time Okrand screws up
when creating canon (or some director screws up by forcing Okrand to
compensate in some way not fitting everything he'd planned for the
grammar or the vocabulary), we have to either make an exception or
change a rule in order to explain the canon and from that point
forward, we have to construct new sentences that fit our new
understanding of the grammar based on a hybrid of Okrand's description
of the grammar and our analysis of his canon. We can never tell Okrand
"This example of canon is wrong. It breaks the rules of grammar."
Instead, we have to "refine" our understanding of the grammar, as if
the language were natural and this curious new example that breaks the
rules of grammar as we knew it merely reveals a flaw in our
understanding of the grammar.

Meanwhile, whenever WE break the rules of grammar, we are merely wrong.

This places us in the awkward spot of figuring out how to make valid,
original sentences based upon a hybrid combination of vague,
incomplete grammar and vague, incomplete canon. We're here because we
love that challenge.

I like this new focus on {-moH}, though I see a bit of a problem with
focusing on the word "CHANGE of state", rather than more heavily
weighing it as "change or creation of STATE". If the "change" aspect
of the meaning were all that important, then why would we ever combine
{-choHmoH}? The {-choH} would already be implied, right? But there it
is, in your example: {maghoSchoHmoH}.

There are a lot of angles from which this example is confusing. It is
a rare example of a verb with an intransitive prefix and {-moH}. Most
canon examples have a prefix showing a direct object. This one
doesn't, so it is a great example to use to deepen our understanding
of {-moH}, as you've successfully exploited it.

I'll focus on why we are combining {-choHmoH} here as you have focused
on why we combined {ma-moH} in the same word. What would {maghoSmoH}
mean that would be different from {maghoSchoHmoH}? If a child were
rolling along in a wagon down a hill and the wagon were approaching
the bottom of the hill, we might be prescient enough to recognize that
the wagon will slow down and stop, resulting in a screaming brat, so
that we might choose to run over and push the wagon in order to keep
it moving along a path it otherwise would have stopped along. In such
a case, we (more than one of us) might be able to say {maghoSmoH}, but
we couldn't say {maghoSchoHmoH}.

I think we are not necessarily the agent of CHANGE of state. We are
the agent of the STATE. We remain the agent of the state for the
duration of the state. We can speak of ourselves as the agents of the
state at any time during the sustained state with {-moH}, whereas we
only speak of ourselves as the agents of CHANGE of state if we combine
{-choHmoH}.

When we execute a course, the assumption is that we weren't already
heading in that direction at the speed we already wanted to go. We
aren't really executing a course. We are executing a CHANGE of course.

I wish Okrand had been clearer when he gave us definitions and canon.
While I agree that {puqvaD QeD vIghojmoH} works, given the
oversimplified definition of {ghojmoH} as "teach", I wouldn't be
surprised at all if Okrand wrote {puq vIghojmoH}. It would be great if
the language were consistent enough for us to call that wrong, but
frankly, I doubt that we have a clear enough definition of {ghojmoH}
to establish the wrongness of that sentence. It could well be that
Okrand would feel fine about teaching either science or children, and
if he's okay with it, we're all bound by his choice. Until he explains
that {puq vIghojmoH} is wrong, I don't think we can have too much of a
strong footing when scolding others for writing a wrong sentence. The
word {ghoj} can simply have a root meaning that, when combined with {-
moH} could include both meanings.

If you are right, then the grammar here is really interesting. What is
happening is that the subject is the agent of causation and the direct
object is the object of the root verb, leaving a hole in the grammar
where the subject of the root verb would go. "I teach science" becomes
"I cause one to learn science." I am the agent of the state of
learning science. I am not necessarily the agent of the CHANGE to the
state of learning science, or even as Okrand explained it, the
creation of the state of learning science. I'm the agent of the state
of learning of science.

Maybe the student had already been learning science from someone else
and then they come to me and I just keep on causing them to keep on
learning science. I could continue to cause the learning of science
for years, day after day. No change. Just sustained state.
{jIghojmoHtaH.}

Your new inspection of {-moH} helps with the otherwise vague
definition of {tuQ}, {tuQHa'moH} and {tuQmoH}. Is the parenthetical
"(clothes)" in these definitions a placeholder for clothing that can
appear as a direct object of the root verb, or is clothing so much
implied that the root verb is intransitive? Probably, it is a guide to
an appropriate direct object.

Meanwhile, {tuQHa'moH} and {tuQmoH} don't tell you whether you are
dressing or undressing yourself, or someone else. If there's a hole in
the grammar where the one in the process of acquiring the clothes onto
their person would go, then it is appropriate to be vague about this.
So, would {jItuQHa''eghmoH} mean that I undress myself, and
{be'nalwI'vaD jItuQHa'moH} mean that I'm undressing my wife? If so, we
just did something odd with the grammar. If the second example is
correct, then the first example should be {jIHvaD jItuQHa'moH.} Any
version of {jItuQHa''eghmoH} would be gibberish, since it would imply
that I am clothing, just as science is the thing being learned in the
earlier example.

I've gone on too long. Sorry. I'll stop now...

Doq

Back to archive top level