tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 14:40:13 2009

Re: *Qayton*

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

One wonders if "HERRUCH'T" is a form of <ruch> instead of <ghoS>, and
the "HER" is really the release of the glottal stop plus the /r/ of
the following word?

NOH!   PA   -V'HOHER    RUCH'T
<DoH! pa'   -vo'              ruch!>

The meaning isn't quite right, but if someone was just going through
TKD trying to figure out how to say something, "proceed" could be
interpreted in this way.  I wish we had some audio to listen to...

Oh, actually, I found the audio at the link I posted earlier, which
may or may not have been removed by the mailing list.  The audio can
be heard at:

crichtonklingons DOT ytmnd DOT com

It actually sounds pretty close to the transcribed version...

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 14:01, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:52 PM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Crichton: (To the Grudeks): John: NOH! PAV'HOR! HERRUCH'T! (To Sikozu)You didn't get that one did you...'cause it's Klingon! A show of force is the only thing that Klingons understand.
>>

>> The Farscape wikia page says that it's supposed to mean something like “Get the hell off of my ship!” Granted, I just started studying Klingon, but this doesn't really look like it to me... maybe a bad transcription?
>
> A *very* bad transcription. It's possible that someone wrote down
> {DoH! pa'vo' yIghoS!}, or some suitably pronouncable version of it,
> for the actor to memorize. Or perhaps it was like the lines at the
> beginning of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, where the words were
> provided on audiotape rather than paper.  Whoever did the captioning
> for the Farpoint episode did the best he could to render what he
> thought the actor said, while the actor did the best he could to speak
> what he thought he was supposed to say.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level