tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 10:51:57 2009

Re: Checking understanding of -be'

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 07:58, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> TKW 48:  The Klingon construction {tIvnISbe'} means "does not need to enjoy"; {tIvbe'nIS" would mean "needs to not enjoy", an utterly different concept.

This, coupled with what is said in TKD, make it pretty clear to me
that there is a difference between <-lu'be'> and <-be'lu'>, even if we
don't see examples in canon.  There are also certainly cases where the
difference might be very subtle or unimportant; this is why I
constructed my examples as I did, with lots of context, to show that
there could be a difference in some places.

Consider:

>  pujwI' HIvlu'chugh quvbe'lu'
>  There is no honor in attacking the weak. TKW

It isn't clear in this case that the difference between <quvbe'lu'>
and <quvlu'be'> would be meaningful: "One doesn't" or "no one does."
It probably takes a context to highlight the difference (or to make it
relevant).

> {-lu'be'}:
>
>  SuvwI'pu' qan tu'lu'be'
>  There are no old warriors. TKW
>
> Hmm... I thought there was another example.  This may be a colloquial variant of the more formally correct {tu'be'lu'}, which also occurs:
>
>  QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj
>  May your coordinates be free of tribbles! PK
>
> Perhaps some Klingons just add {-be'} to {tu'lu'} "there is/are" as if it were a fixed formula.  We know that Klingons also omit the {-lu'} prefix in the plural:
>
>  naDev tlhInganpu' tu'lu'
>  There are Klingons around here. TKW
>
> At qep'a' loSDIch "Robyn Stewart's idea of {lutu'lu'} as 'the Klingon version of "whom"' got a nod and an explicit lack of contradiction [from Okrand]. {naDev tlhInganpu' lutu'lu'} is grammatical, but the {lu-} is more often left off." (ghunchu'wI')
>
> "... in English, most people use the word 'who' when formally they should be using 'whom', much like most Klingons use the word {tu'lu'} when they should be using {lutu'lu'}. In other words, the more formally correct sentence is {tlhInganpu' lutu'lu'} though most Klingons most of the time would say {tlhInganpu' tu'lu'}." (charghwI')
>
> If this is so, then {-lu'be'} may not be productive on other verbs after all.

Yeah, I'm hesitant to make anything from <tu'lu'>, since verbs like
this tend to have special syntax, and this is clearly the case in
Klingon with the lack of <-lu'>.  Spanish, for example, does exactly
this: "There is kids," because the verb "there is" has become so
lexicalized.  In past tenses, the plural is technically correct, but
pretty much no one uses it.

Back to archive top level