tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 27 17:02:51 2009

Usage of -Ha' (was: Checking understanding of -be')

Christopher Doty wrote:
> <-Ha'> is still a bit of a mystery to me, as its
> discussion in TKD is so brief.  It looks like it rovers in the same
> way as <-be'>, but that isn't explicitly stated, so it's not really
> clear...

{-Ha'} doesn't "rove," even though it's called a rover. It always comes
right after the verb, before any other suffixes. It gives the verb a
sense of either "undo" or "do wrongly."

{leghbe'} means that the subject does not see something; it implies
nothing about whether the subject was ever able to see the thing.
{leghHa'} means that the subject "unsees" something; something was seen,
but is now not seen. Or it could mean "see something wrongly"; the
subject sees something, but misinterprets what it sees, or doesn't get
the right image. Whether the correct interpretation of {-Ha'} is "undo"
or "do wrongly" seems to depend on context.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level