tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 27 14:35:23 2009
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Checking understanding of -be'
Christopher Doty (email@example.com)
- From: Christopher Doty <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Checking understanding of -be'
- Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:32:57 -0800
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:from:date:message-id :subject:to:content-type; bh=7hXuKVph/Big4Qy9Ucbq6d3QucXDnd/sE1YH46kPD2I=; b=HmacMTPjv56NNJ4cdyxUi06obzDCbCqj3n/6t3T9KLPEnrvPEKu/zbSAp5cPtsDW+T o8NhKVSWEq1dAdtfnHQh3NiBz9Wc41ZYAb5dScfrpXS8WPyj+CicoZne8m3Cez/33Hh/ cVIFoVGzJOZIQKHOgGbnAyuIyyv6v2+qHcICk=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type; b=E7vuGUN9ACy36NHKeyvLlvMG/8NW/7gm+UacsnjrrdAvxbsp0+sWwkknkqmbvNNPvq LNBA1yAZg86HgNpkrc6JoMLeHvIrudUd6hd4vNbTOQdy0abIBjP9kaQV4DC+08aWfGNw KONduYqw3ibt39wZJw14o35xFUF8Nsf0PVI28=
Just wanted to see if my understanding of -be' as a rover jives with y'all's...
If, e.g., someone walked into a room filled with nonsmoking signs, but
which nonetheless smelled of cigarette smoke, one might say
"Someone didn't see (the signs)"
That is, there is a someone, although unknown, who didn't see something.
If we were talking about something that wasn't seen by anyone (see,
maybe, something "unseeable" like <qa'>), one might instead say:
"It isn't seen/one doesn't see it (maybe loosely even 'it is invisible')"
Is this "correct" use of <-be'>?
If we throw <-Ha'> into the mix, would something like
mean "It disappeared" (lit., "made itself unseen)?? (I know there is
a verb for 'disappear', I'm just wondering about this in comparison to
the use of <-be'>...)