tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 27 10:01:58 2009

Re: Adverb placement (was Re: The topic marker -'e')

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh ([email protected])

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Christopher Doty <[email protected]> wrote:
> "separate and full" does not necessarily mean that it isn't embedded.

I see a clear contradiction between the words "separate" and
"embedded". Embedded means it is part of something. Separate means it
is not.

> In the English "I see that you went to the store," "you went to the
> store" is a separate and full sentence unto itself, but it is ALSO
> EMBEDDED.

On the other hand, in the Klingon sentences {Suy DaSuchpu'} and {'e'
vIlegh}, {Suy DaSuchpu'} isn't embedded.

If you consider that {'e'} is defined as a pronoun, not as a
complementizer, does that help you see the difference here?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level