tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 26 21:31:31 2009

Re: Adverb placement (was Re: The topic marker -'e')

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Nov 26, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Christopher Doty wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 05:43, ghunchu'wI' <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Embedded sentence"?  I would expect that phrase to refer to the
>> pronoun {'e'} here.
>
> See the brackets in my previous email for why this clause is
> considered "embedded."

I see the brackets and I understand what you intend by them.  I
disagree with that interpretation.  See The Klingon Dictionary's
explanation of the Sentence as Object construction for why I consider
what you call "this clause" to be a separate full sentence and not
actually part of the sentence containing the {'e'}.

A SAO having {neH} as the second verb doesn't seem quite so
separated, so I find Kruge's line only a little odd instead of
outright wrong.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level