tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 26 05:39:45 2009

Re: The topic marker -'e'

Tracy Canfield wrote:
> 2009/11/26 Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>:
>> It seems clear that {-vaD} is at least primarily an indirect object
>> marker, which means it's not at all clear what to do with it outside
>> of a sentence.  The few examples we have of such use are just not that
>> enlightening.
>>
> This isn't clear to me, since the "indirect object marker" usage in
> TKD appeared in an appendix.
>
> The example in the section on -vaD in TKD seems to be a very
> straightforward usage that should be usable in other sentences:

Indeed, I don't agree that {-vaD} is an indirect object marker. When
there is an indirect object, it's probably got {-vaD} on it, but that's
not the same as saying everything with {-vaD} is an indirect object.
Klingon reserves no special inflection or position for indirect objects;
they are just a consequence of other features of the sentence.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level