tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 26 05:32:44 2009

Re: Adverb placement (was Re: The topic marker -'e')

Tracy Canfield wrote:
> 2009/11/25 David Trimboli <[email protected]>:
>> chaq SoHvaD pabvam QIjlaH latlh ghot. jIQongchoH DaH 'e' vIHech.
>>
> DaH usually occurs first in a sentence - is there a reason it's at the
> end of the embedded sentence here?

Yes. This is a sentence-as-object construction. The {DaH} applies to
{'e' vIHech} ("I intend that now"), not to {jIQongchoH} (I didn't mean
"I begin to sleep now").

    jIQongchoH
    DaH 'e' vIHech

The first sentence in an SAO is not really "embedded." Sentence one is
not "physically" the object of sentence two. The two sentences are
merely juxtaposed, and the pronoun {'e'} refers to sentence one and
takes its place as the object of sentence two.

However, it's important to note that Okrand has never used an adverbial
along with {'e'} or {net}, so we have no examples of this sort of thing
in action. This simply follows the basic rules in TKD. There is only one
example of an adverbial with a SAO in all the canon:

    reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH
    I've always wanted to fight a Federation ship. (ST5)

Naturally, Captain Klaa didn't mean that he wanted to "always fight" a
Federation ship. However, SAOs with {neH} don't (usually) use {'e'} or
{net}, so it's possible that with these the first sentence is, in fact,
"embedded" in the second as its object. Without further evidence, we
can't really tell.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH