tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 25 17:20:47 2009

Re: frasier Klingon

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

Ya, the only parallel I can think of is that Yiddish is often object
initial; e.g., "Coffee I like."  In a less enlightened age, this
structure was actually called Y-movement; that is, "Yiddish movement."

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 17:14, Mark J. Reed <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Steven Lytle <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I've always heard that the original language (or the language it was
>> supposed to be translated into) was Hebrew, not Yiddish.
>
> Indeed.  Yiddish is an everyday language, not a ritual one.  Bar
> mitzvahs are full of Hebrew, and such rituals are part of what kept
> that language alive in any sense before it was revived in the 19th
> century.
>
> Also, tlhIngan Hol doesn't sound very much like Hebrew or Yiddish, but
> it sounds much more like the former than the latter, which is closer
> to German.
>
> --
> Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>

Back to archive top level