tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 25 17:14:01 2009

Re: frasier Klingon

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

Most assuredly.  It looks quite similar to this quote from the Talmud
(Brachot 17A).

"May you live to see your world fulfilled, May you be our link to
future worlds, and may your hope encompass all the generations to be.
May your heart conceive with understanding, may your mouth speak
wisdom and your tongue be stirred with sounds of joy. May your gaze be
straight and sure, your eyes be lit with Torah's lamp, your face aglow
with heaven's radiance, your lips expressing words of knowledge, and
your inner self alive with righteousness. And may you always rush in
eagerness to hear the words of One more ancient than all time."

Dunno if the Frasier version is actually a different section of the
Talmud or a something else?

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 17:00, Steven Lytle <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've always heard that the original language (or the language it was
> supposed to be translated into) was Hebrew, not Yiddish.
> lay'tel SIvten
>
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I am sure this has come up before, so if it has, please help me narrow down
>> the search on the site:
>>
>> A friend of mine pointed out a clip from an episode of Frasier where
>> Frasier inadvertently blesses his son at his Barmitzfah in Klingon mistaking
>> it for Yiddish; then my friend asked if I could translate it.  I can't quite
>> make out what he is saying (it's very poorly pronounced and interrupted) and
>> all my book are still locked away from me until I get back from Iraq.
>>
>> I came up with what I think he is trying to say and a VERY rough
>> translation.  I am sure I got some things and most wrong.  If anyone could
>> help, I would appreciate it.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZV6fsotYo
>>
>> puqlod wI'le' qo'o. Hagh jaj. cho' Ho'ov mo'aQ. lenglIj lo'o teb. jaj
>> lengwIj. vaD veragh. Sov'e' Da nob'e'. po'Ho bo'agh.
>> Son, see the world. Laugh daily. Succeed ... See Morewith admirable
>> motives. Travel fulfills a use. Travel daily. Be a flexible rivet. Knowledge
>> is a gift, behave like it is. Be an expert.
>>
>> My friend phoenetically copied it as;
>> Pookh lod wih le koo. Hach jahj cho-koov-moakh leng-lidge loo-Teb-jahj leng
>> widge-vahd bel rahp shoave dah-nobe-poo- boagh.
>>
>> -Sogh veS joH, mangghom

Back to archive top level