tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 24 13:54:16 2009

Re: Comparatives

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

It's not an issue of interpretation, it clearly says that only -qu'
can be used when -Daq is used, but says nothing about other cases.
Further, there are examples in the TKD where there are adjectival
verbs that have suffixes other than -qu'

nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa' choHmoH

Since you have -Ha' here, either a) Okrand has made a mistake, or b)
your interpretation is wrong.

Chris

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 13:40, ghunchu'wI' <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2009, at 2:35 PM, Tracy Canfield wrote:
>
>> Strictly, no, it doesn't say that.  The only place in the adjective
>> section that it says *only* -qu may appear is when a Type 5 suffix is
>> attached.
>
> On Nov 24, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Christopher Doty wrote:
>
>> That section says that an adjectival verb with -Daq can't take
>> anything other than -qu'; it doesn't say anything about adjectives in
>> general being able to take other suffixes.
>
> Argh, that's a perennial point of variant interpretation.  I think
> "in this way" means "in the manner of an adjective", and not "along
> with a type 5 noun suffix".
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level