tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 24 10:57:54 2009

Re: Comparatives

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

This analysis also makes sense in that verbs, when postposed after a
noun, are essentially adjectives, and don't take prefixes or suffixes,
as far as I can tell...  Wait, then how do you do other aspects, e.g.,
"We used to be more fortunate than you, but aren't anymore"??

? maHpu' Do' law' tlhIH Do' puS
?? maH Do'pu' law' tlhIH Do' pus
??? maH Do'pu' law' tlhIH Do'pu' pus

Chris

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:45, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:
> David Trimboli wrote:
>> Tracy Canfield wrote:
>>> For comparatives, TKD uses the construction
>>>
>>> A Q law' B Q puS
>>>
>>> In all the examples, A and B are nouns.  If you're comparing, for
>>> example, "we" and "you", do you have to include the pronouns, or is
>>>  it okay to just use prefixes on the verbs?
>
>> The "A Q" and "B Q" parts are not clauses. Only your last example is
>> correct: {maH Do' law' tlhIH Do' puS} "we are more fortunate than
>> you." A and B must be noun phrases; Q must be a verb of quality
>> without prefix or suffixes.
>
> Although, come to think of it, we may have some examples with {-Ha'}. I
> don't have access to my books right now.
>
> --
> David Trimboli
> http://www.trimboli.name/

Back to archive top level