tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 20 13:26:49 2009

Re: tlhIngan porgh

Steven Boozer wrote:
> Fiat Knox:
>>> What would "pathology" be, then? *HeghQeD*?
>
> lay'tel SIvten:
>> I don't think so. First, how do you define "pathology"? To me it has more
>> to do with study of disease than study of death.
>> And in any case, it would likely be two words, Hegh QeD, not a compound,
>> at least until canon for it appears.
>
> Fiat Knox:
>>> rop QeD for the study of disease, tar QeD for the study of poisons, and
>>> Hegh QeD for the study of death.  That'll do for me.
>
> TKD 9:  Three groups of words in particular are, for the most part, unrepresented: scientific terminology... Terms associated with the various sciences are the subject of a special study, and a report is currently being prepared.
>
> Of the names of the five "canonical" sciences, four are one-word compounds:
>
>   HolQeD 		linguistics (KGT)
>   HuchQeD 		economics (KGT)
>   nughQeD 		sociology (approved by MO per Yens Wahlgren, 1/18/05)
>   porghQeD 	the scientific study of bodily functions (HQ 12.4)
>
> and the fifth is a noun-noun phrase, itself formed from the noun-noun phrase {Hov leng} "Star Trek":
>
>   Hov leng QeD 	Treknology (STC)
>
> Based on this pattern, I generally opt for the one-word option when I need to refer to one of the sciences.  In fact, I've seen a whole slew of these on the List over the years, e.g.:

TKD 3.4:
    Some combinations of two (or more) nouns in a row are so common as to
    have become everyday words. These are the compound nouns (as
    discussed in section 3.2.1). In addition, it is possible to combine
    nouns in the manner of a compound noun to produce a new construct
    even if it is not a legitimate compound noun (“legitimate” in the
    sense that it would be found in a dictionary).

While this simple pattern may continue for the sciences, there's no
guarantee. In general, compound nouns should only come from canon:
something that a Klingon would find in a dictionary. Anything else is
either a guess, or should be constructed in noun–noun form.

In other words, we know that Klingon dictionaries contain the words
{HolQeD}, {HuchQeD}, {nughQeD}, and {porghQeD}. We don't know that they
contain any other {-QeD} words, including the entire list you posted.
(And this is why you added asterisks to them.) While some (*{ghewQeD}
"entymology") seem likely, others are not so obvious (*{ghorQeD},
*{qo'QeD} "geography"—these look more to me like topology and planetary
(Earth) science.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH