tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 11 15:08:08 2009

Re: Yet another newbie!

Steven Boozer wrote:

> So how do we say "The Great Hall is not there"?:
>
>   ? pa' 'oHtaHbe' vaS'a''e'.
>   ? pa' 'oHbe'taH vaS'a''e'
>
> The variants with {tu'lu'} seem fairly clear:
>
>   pa' vaS'a' tu'lu'be'.
>   pa' vaS'a' tu'be'lu'.
>
> but it's not clear (to me at least) what, if anything,
 > is the difference in meaning between the two.

Note that, according to TKD 4.2.7, "The absence of a Type 7 suffix
usually means that the action is not completed and is not continuous..."
This might be significant in deciding whether there is any difference
between {-be'taH} and {-taHbe'}.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH