tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 09 07:32:50 2009

RE: Safe Auto Commercial

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

I saw it again yesterday, and if I heard correctly the actor is saying what sounds like:

  /Hock doo/

which is probably supposed to be:

  HoH Duy!

So, it appears as though some writer just looked up words in TKD and plugged them into the English sentence "Kill the agent!"  Too bad.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

naHQun:
>> Just saw a Safe Auto ad where this guy ends up saying something in
>> Klingon.  I didn't hear what he said due to screaming children,
>> but the screen clearly said "Klingon".  Anybody catch it?

Voragh (11/02/2009):
>I saw it twice over the weekend.  I couldn't understand what the actor
>said, but it sounded like only a couple of syllables including one that
>*may* have been {HoH} (a clipped {yIHoH}?).  The subtitle on the screen
>read:
>
>  KLINGON: [Eliminate the middleman.]
>
>*If* Okrand had anything to do with this - and he might well have since
>SafeAuto is a national insurance company - I would expect something like:
>
>  Duy (yI)HoH!
>  Kill the agent/emissary!
>
>  *'oSwI' (yI)HoH!
>  Kill the representative!
>
>Hopefully someone can record and listen to this line carefully.  For
>those watching for it, the commercial begins with the Rocket Scientist
>Guy signing for a package at his front door.  This is an "Alien Dialect
>Simulator" which he unwraps and sets up in his lab: it's a helmet plus
>microphone contraption which he puts on his head.  He says a few phrases
>in English, repeating each one translated into various "alien dialects"
>including Klingon (which comes about 2/3 of the way into the commercial).
>
>FYI:  SafeAuto.com has archived 44 of its commercials at:
>	http://www.safeauto.com/about/commercials/
>
>Unfortunately this new one hasn't been uploaded yet.  Stay tuned.

Back to archive top level