tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 26 18:37:11 2009

Re: nuq bach?

qa'vaj ([email protected])

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 4:51 PM, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:

> I agree. Nothing tells us that {bachchu'} means "shoot and hit," and
> nothing tells us that the kind of object the verb takes will change with
> the addition of the suffix. It could just mean "shoot with perfect form."
>
>        nuq qIp yaS?
>        What did the officer hit?

Looking over the thread, I'm surprised that {-vaD} hasn't been mentioned.

HeSwI'vaD bach yaS. qIp.

"The officer shot at a criminal and hit him."

Which has a slightly different connotation from:

bach yaS.  HeSwI' qIp.

"The officer shot.  He hit a criminal."

The former being a little clearer that it was the criminal he was intending
to hit when he shot.

--
qa'vaj
qo'lIj DachenmoHtaH