tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 23 14:39:03 2009

Re: Klingon orthography

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On 23 Jun 2009, at 20:42, Steven Boozer wrote:

> Russ is correct.  U, mb, N, ND, ts and ghl are not new letters for
> standard {ta' Hol}, but are merely ad hoc transcriptions used by
> "Federation linguists" to transcribe sub-standard and regional
> Klingon speech.

Standard fare for dialect transcription, though. Same thing happens in
Hindi.

> Note too that for three of these, Okrand continued his practice of
> using capital letters to mark unusual/unexpected pronunciations (cf.
> D, I, Q and S which are not pronounced in {ta' Hol} as the
> corresponding letters are in Federation Standard (i.e. [American]
> English).

Yes, but again, he was working within his system, which has
disadvantages in terms of data processing (certainly) as well as
aesthetics (arguably).