tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 23 15:29:57 2009

Re: Klingon orthography

Michael Everson wrote:
> On 23 Jun 2009, at 20:42, Steven Boozer wrote:
>
>> Note too that for three of these, Okrand continued his practice of
>> using capital letters to mark unusual/unexpected pronunciations (cf.
>> D, I, Q and S which are not pronounced in {ta' Hol} as the
>> corresponding letters are in Federation Standard (i.e. [American]
>> English).
>
> Yes, but again, he was working within his system, which has
> disadvantages in terms of data processing (certainly) as well as
> aesthetics (arguably).

Aesthetics are the only reason I would consider spelling reform. Like
ghunchu'wI', I don't consider Google to be an appropriate standard of
data processing to aim for. Of course, after all this time the goofy
capitalization of the transcription system is one of the most recognized
aspects of the language.

If we were to have a transcription system with case, it could be as
simple as this (showing the capital letters):

A B CH D E GH H I J K L M N NG O P Q R S T TLH U V W Y '

Tah pagh tahbe'. Dah mu'tlheghvam vikelnis.
Kuv'a', yabdak san vaq cha, pu' je siqdi'?
Pagh, seng biq'a'hey suvmeh nuhmey sukdi',
'ej, suvmo' rinmohdi'? Hegh. Qong—qong neh—
'ej qongdi', tik 'oy', wa'sanid daw''e' je
cho'nisbogh miwvam'e' wiruchkangbej
Hegh. Qong. Qongdi' chaq naj. Toh, waqlaw' ghu'vam!

(Geez, that was hard to do!)

--
SuStel
Stardate 9478.2