tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 23 12:16:04 2009

Re: Klingon orthography

Russ Perry, Jr. ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Tue, 6/23/09, Michael Roney, Jr. <[email protected]> wrote:
> Huh. Relearn something old every day.
> I shall update my personal dictionary file accordingly.

I don't think Okrand was adding "U" to the orthography, but just
using it to illustrate the difference in pronunciation, so take
it with a grain of salt.

> --Sent from my Palm PreMichael Everson wrote:
>
> On 23 Jun 2009, at 19:30, Michael Roney, Jr. wrote:
>
> > U?
> > Do you have a page number? I don't recall such a
> Klingon letter
>
> Page 139.
>
> ===
> Younger speakers also have a slight tendency to change
> the
> pronunciation of the vowel "a" in nonstressed syllables to
> something
> that sounds a bit like the "u" in Federation Standard
> "but". If this
> sound is transcribed with the Symbol "U", a word like
> "qaleghpu'" ("I
> have seen you") might sound more like "qUleghpu'". This
> particular
> phonological inclination seems particularly bothersome to
> older
> Klingons and is generally considered an error worthy of
> correction.
> Students who speak this way are customarily reprimanded,
> ===
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729  [email protected]  VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||