tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 23 14:33:30 2009

Re: Klingon orthography

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On 23 Jun 2009, at 20:56, David Trimboli wrote:

>> Of course he can! He could, for instance, implement a spelling reform
>> and publish a third edition of his dictionary. Heck, I'd be happy to
>> typeset it for him.
>
> I would be the first in line to buy it, but I know it's just not up to
> Marc Okrand to decide this; it's up to Paramount.

An author can write whatever books he wants. Who owns the word
"Qapla'"? Okrand? Paramount? I know that Paramount owns Klingons.
Language is something else.

> And they're never going to do another one, not unless Klingons
> become really, really popular again.

Paramount didn't write the Klingon Dictionary. Okrand did. Maybe they
paid him to. Maybe he did it on his own and they get a cut. I don't
know what the arrangements were. It was most likely Simon and Schuster
ponied up to publish the actual book. Or?

> (If another Abrams TREK features Klingons speaking true Okrandian
> Klingon, maybe it would happen. Otherwise, no.)

I can hardly imagine Paramount forbidding a publication if it didn't
cost them anything and if the usual arrangements were made.

So that's not a reason not to at least look at good vs. bad options
for spelling reform.