tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 23 09:48:47 2009

Re: Klingon orthography

Michael Everson wrote:

> Well, yours might be a vote for the status quo -- but I'd like to know
> what Marc Okrand thinks, in particular about data integrity, sorting
> and searching and so on.

I know exactly what Marc Okrand thinks: the romanized transcription
system is inconvenient and inadequate, but we're stuck with it. (I
believe he has said as much before.) Marc has never been particularly
computer-savvy, so I doubt he's given it much thought. If you spoke to
him about it, he'd say yep, that's a problem, but there's not much he
can do about it.

Even if you hit upon a lovely transcription orthography, how will you
get Paramount to use it or license it whenever someone produces an
"official" product? (Consider, for instance, the Bird of Prey poster.)

--
SuStel
Stardate 9477.6

tlhIngan Hol MUSH: http://www.trimboli.name/mush