tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 23 11:44:47 2009

RE: Klingon orthography

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Michael Everson:
>> If you spoke to him about it, he'd say yep, that's a problem, but
>> there's not much he can do about it.
>
>Of course he can! He could, for instance, implement a spelling reform
>and publish a third edition of his dictionary. Heck, I'd be happy to
>typeset it for him.
>
>> Even if you hit upon a lovely transcription orthography, how will
>> you get Paramount to use it or license it whenever someone produces an
>> "official" product? (Consider, for instance, the Bird of Prey poster.)
>
>It's hard to imagine that they are wedded to the 1985 orthography.
>Indeed if there were a change, it could lead to would be a whole new
>range of products. But I imagine it must be for Marc Okrand to
>consider the benefits of a revised orthography for the long-term good
>of the language and its community.
Convincing Okrand may be one thing, but convincing the publishers of TKD, Simon & Schuster,  that there's a market willing to buy a revised 3rd edition is something else entirely.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level