tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 23 11:40:36 2009

Re: Klingon orthography

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On 23 Jun 2009, at 19:30, Michael Roney, Jr. wrote:

> U?
> Do you have a page number? I don't recall such a Klingon letter

Page 139.

===
Younger speakers also have a slight tendency to change the
pronunciation of the vowel "a" in nonstressed syllables to something
that sounds a bit like the "u" in Federation Standard "but". If this
sound is transcribed with the Symbol "U", a word like "qaleghpu'" ("I
have seen you") might sound more like "qUleghpu'". This particular
phonological inclination seems particularly bothersome to older
Klingons and is generally considered an error worthy of correction.
Students who speak this way are customarily reprimanded,
===