tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 19 06:01:12 2009

Re: Correct use of retlh

qe'San \(Jon Brown\) ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

From: "ghunchu'wI'" <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 12:26 AM

> On Jun 18, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Steven Boozer wrote:
>
>> As it happens, DloraH (Roger Cheesbro) used *{bIQ'a' HeH} for
>> "(sea) shore" in his "{ghIlghameS}: A Klingon Translation" (2000).
>
> It was independently invented by many people.  Whether or not it's
> what a hypothetical native Klingon would say, it's descriptive and
> unambiguous enough for me to accept it without reservation.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

QaHra'mo' ter'eS  Voragh  ghunchu'wI' je' Satlho'

ghIlghameS is the only book I don't yet have.. I will obviously have to put
that right.

Ok so back to [retlh] and fixing my mistake of missing  [-Daq] off.  if I
wanted to translate, "I'd like a window seat, please." and taking into
account that a Klingon would be more direct and not say please I thought
maybe [Qorwagh retlh quSDaq vIba' vIneH].

Although saying that with the sea shore [bIQ'a' HeH] instead of [bIQ'a' HeH
retlh] example,  I wonder if anyone thinks that the use of [retch] is also
redundant here. Maybe [Qorwagh quSDaq vIba' vIneH] is good enough.

qe'San

Back to archive top level