tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 02 18:59:07 2009

Re: chay' "Get out of the way!" ra'lu'?

Doq ([email protected])

It's clear I'm a minority of one here, and I generally don't encourage
people to be minorities of one. I'm a little torn, because I
definitely think this horse looks pretty dead to me, and I'm tired of
kicking it, but I also think that people take the word {ghoS} too
generally, thinking of it as a generic "go" word, when Okrand really
seems to want to give it a relationship to a path that is genuinely
alien to any human word.

This struck me when he mentioned that locations specified as objects
(either with or without {-Daq} or {-vo'}) really were just labels for
the path being traveled, much like we say stuff like "Country Club
Road" for a road that goes by the country club, even if that's not its
official name. You don't actually {ghoS} to the country club. You
{ghoS} along the path that includes the country club.

That's the alien part. It's not the way we humans think.

It works to {ghoS} along a river, since the river is itself a course
or path. {HewIjvo' yIghoS} is naming the path I want you to travel
along after another path I don't want you to travel on. It's just a
clash in a level of abstraction that I think people are ignoring.

My path is not a marker after which one would name your path.

{jIHvo' yIghoS!} would probably be closer to what you really mean,
since you name paths after points on the path, or after a name the
path has itself. It seems weird to name a path after a different path
that has only one intersection point.

I will now consider myself to have fought the good fight and explained
my gut-level idea as far as it can be explained. If the spark catches
no kindling, so be it. I tried. I'm okay failing now and then. My
holistic sense of being does not hinge on acquiring acceptance of this
idea.

I had hoped it would spark interesting ideas rather than simply bother
people, which seems to have been its only effect.

Do'Ha'. taH yIn.

Doq

On Jun 1, 2009, at 10:06 PM, DloraH wrote:

>> I've always thought of {ghoS} to mean to move along a path. It's
>> object (direct or indirect) tends to be a location along the path.
>>
>> So {Hevo' ghoS!} strikes me as remarkably odd. I'm sure it's just my
>> odd interpretation of {ghoS}.
>
> I see that SuStel already touched on what I was planning on
> mentioning as I worked my way through
> the thread, but I figured I would still chime in and add another
> voice to the point...
>
> You can still think of ghoS as associated with a path/course.  The
> confusion here is that there are
> two paths involved.  The {Hevo'} mentioned could be more
> appropriately put as {HewIjvo'}.  Even in
> English sometimes people say "Get out of the way" instead of "Get
> out of my way".  The other person
> still has their own path/course on which they ghoS; you are
> basically telling them to alter their
> course to avoid a collision.  And in canon we see that one can ghoS
> a new course.
>

> DloraH

Back to archive top level